Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gearing up for Christmas...



So, for the last few weeks we have been gearing up for Christmas. This year we are going to Michigan for Christmas. It will be nice for Taylor to see her cousins whom she just loves. I think it will be interesting for Aiden to see all the snow, I hear they have a foot of it. I am not looking forward to the 16 hour drive in the car with Aiden. Going to Massachussets wasn't bad, but he was constantly saying, "mom mom"... so I am thinking after 16 hours I may be going crazy. That is the only thing with being in the military. It seems like we are never home for Christmas, it is us going to someones house. It seems like we are always the ones going. One day we may just have to come up with our own traditions... but it is hard letting go of wanting to be with extended family.

I love being with my family, going to Christmas Eve service, and then usually my grandparents have us all in for appetizers. It is hard being every where at once though. I really want my kids to have some traditions of knowing the real reason behind Christmas and not just the gifts. It seems like Christmas is so focused on that. I think that is why I have been a little stressed out. It just isn't how it once was. I guess that is on me as a mom to make sure she knows what the true meaning is. This year, Taylor made Christmas boxes for children less fortunate and sent them off. I think she enjoyed doing that. Tomorrow night is her Christmas show. She told me she is a "national" singer. I asked her what that meant and she said, "That I am one of the best singers in my class"... always so humble.

Aiden is doing great. He started his early intervention for communication this week. He learned the sign for "more". So now he does it all the time. He is such a cutie pie if I do say so myself (haha). Well, I am signing off... hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

autumnesf said...

After 15 years we finally began to stay home instead of drive all over the US to see family. I love spending Christmas with family, but one day it occurred to me that our family being present wasn't nearly as important to others as it was to us...or they would be willing to do the same. It was very sad but very freeing also. So those that make the effort to see us we take turns with now. Those that don't we see if we happen to be in town. The kids were also older by this time - which means seeing grandpa and grandma wasn't big joy it was went they were little.

Think about taking every 3rd year off from travel to start your own traditions. You might be surprised who wants to come to you.

Travel safe and have a wonderful Christmas!

Stephanie said...

From the sound of things, I think you should listen to Eric's podcast that will be posted Monday (it will be from the Sunday teaching). This whole series he's starting Sunday is about just this kind of thing--what Christmas is really about. Check it out on valleychurch.tv or go to itunes and search valleychurch.tv then go to Sunday's date.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones